Sunday, October 25, 2009

Red Lion Soccer Recap

As I mentioned at the beginning of the school year, Alex was trying out for the soccer team again this year. Well, he made it. Technically, he's a sub, but he still on the team and still gets to play.

Below is Alex's own recap of this past Friday's game against Wilmington Christian School.
It started out a rainy day… and stayed windy and drizzly all through the game. Brrrrr… We started practicing and soon enough the game started. We only had 4 subs because of a bug going around (swine flu!), so there was a large chance I’d be in a long time. And I was. The first half… not so much. I got in as the left striker then 10 seconds later the half whistle blew. We huddled up for a little bit and talked about what we needed to do (not as much) and what Wilmington Christian needed to do (A LOT). We shot on the goal to practice for a few minutes then the second half started, me still being the left striker. We scored about 2 more goals making it 3-0. I took a break because my hands were getting numb (again, brrrrrr). Then I went out again as the right midfielder. I got a couple kicks on the ball since they were throwing it in when I started. We scored 2 more goals making it 4-0 (ouch) and then my shining moment came. I was able to get the ball and get it down the field. Seeing defenders come at me I passed it to a teammate and he scored! I got an assist! It didn’t make much of a difference since it was already our game (by far) but it still made feel good. I stayed in for the rest of the game and booted it out twice when they (somehow) got it to our side. We scored again making it 6-0 (again, ouch). That’s it. We won!

As of this writing, the team's record stands at 6-2-1. Way to go Lions!