Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Day the Sky Fell

My children do amaze me sometimes. Just when you think you know them, your eldest writes a phenomenal piece of historical fiction for his English class. Here's an excerpt.

It started like most other Tuesdays. I woke up, brushed my teeth, got dressed, and ate my breakfast. The only unusual thing about that day was that I was skipping school to go with Dad to Marsh and McClennan USA, where he worked in Tower 1 of the World Trade Center. They hadn’t had a “Bring your Child to Work Day” in a long time, so I was naturally excited to go. We hopped into his brand new 2002 Honda Accord and sped down the Long Island Expressway under the cloudless sunrise. This is how that September 11, 2001, changed my then nine-year-old life for me, Michael Croft, forever.

Click here if you would like to read the rest of the story.