Sunday, August 2, 2009

Games Rednecks Play

OK, I'm not ashamed to admit it: I have a little redneck in me. Not too much, mind you. I have never ever degreased engine parts in the bathtub, had my home mistaken for a junkyard, or cut my grass and found a car. But I do find some strange pleasure in things like mud bog races or lawn mower races.

So in that spirit, my brood, along with neighborhood friend Zack, headed to Fairhill, MD on Saturday night to the Cecil County Fair to watch the annual Stoney Robert's Demolition Derby.



The night did start off a little wonky. We arrived >1 hour early and found the stands and walkways already jam packed due to the Vater's Monster Motorsports show which, unbeknownst to us, started earlier that evening. The Vater's show consisted of a monster truck show followed by a show involving 2 quads powered by helicopter jet turbines. They were really...something... Picture lots of noise, lots of fire, more noise, a lot of dust and toss in a little ash for good measure.

Once the Vater show wrapped up, we were able to finally find some bleacher seats; but only due to a family vacating some space due to the impending downpour headed our way. Yes, it rained on us. Significantly.

But the rains quickly subsided and the derby got under way. And how. We were treated to over 3 hours of mayhem resulting in the destruction of countless unsuspecting automobiles. Each heat, the kids picked their favorites, usually based on color or something, and rooted them on. Usually to the point their favorite fell disabled by the wayside, at which point they picked a new favorite. Somehow, by the end of each heat their favorite just happened to be the victor. I don't know how they do it.

As for Zack, he seemed to really enjoy his first Demo Derby. And next year I think he might take a stab at the greased pole contest. Yeah, there's a little redneck in us all...admit it.