Monday, March 16, 2009

Generation Gap

This past weekend I had the first of what is sure to be many such encounters with my children over the coming years.

Alex and I are in the car, headed to Martin Honda to pick up some parts on Saturday. I’ve got David Cook playing on the CD player. Alex looks over and asks, “Who is this?”

Now, honestly, I myself don’t know anything about David Cook. I just know I hear the song Light On on the radio and like it. So, almost sarcastically, not expecting it to mean anything to him either, I responded that it was David Cook.

He responds, “Oh,” and doesn’t say another word.

A few moments pass and I have to ask, “Did the fact that I told you it was David Cook mean anything to you?”

Without hesitation Alex tells me that he was on American Idol. That the kids in his class, particularly the girls, talked about him a lot.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel old…