Monday, May 19, 2008

DANGER: Pinch Point

Saturday evening, our neighbors were going to take Mommy and I out to the New Candlelight Dinner Theater to see West Side Story as a 'Thank You' for the work we’ve done on our other neighbor’s house.

After working outside for the afternoon, I went and got dressed up, then headed back outside for something (no idea what now) and noted that one of the kid’s scooters had been left outside. So I unlock the garage door, put the scooter in and start to close the door: All in a smooth, very quick motion.

So quick in fact that I went to close the garage door wrong and had 2 of my right-hand fingers in one of the seams. OUCH! In a panic, trying to get free, I reversed the motion of the door only to have it shift abruptly and make things that much more uncomfortable (understatement).

I finally got myself freed and, not having felt anything break, my initial thought was, ‘I can play this off’. Then I looked at my imprinted, black and blue fingers. I ran inside and put them under cold water for lack of any better clear-headed thought.

After a brief explanation of my stupidity, Mommy got me ice...and a chair as I now felt like I was going to pass out. A few long moments later, convinced that I hadn't broken anything, yet still decidedly uncomfortable (understatement) I decided we should still try to head out to dinner. So I spent the evening cuddled up to a icepack, but still got to enjoy a good dinner and show with my beautiful wife.

Today, I'm sore, but really not in bad shape; all things considered. If only the garage door had faired better...